After spending all night eating delicious local food, playing MaJiang, and jumping in the river we had to wake up and be on the bus by 8:30 am. Now we were headed from the Miao village to Bamengshui for lunch and a museum. The lunch was extremely nice, we ate upstairs in a private room, all thirty four of us seated at a giant lazy Susan table. After we were all stuffed full of a plethora of different dishes we were headed to the museum. To our surprise when we arrived the power was out. It turns out that a few days a year this village has mandatory power shut downs. The interesting thing was there was not a worker in sight but the museum was still open so everybody went in with flashlights. Not being to interested in the museum I ran through it and decided to go for a walk in the village. I was walking through these big alleys with Chinese style buildings lining the street. The weird thing was that there was hardly anybody there. It seemed like a ghost town. I guess we had come in the off season for tourists. A large part of me was happy about this. What would be full of tourists was now only filled with the people who lived there. Along my walk i ran into some workers hanging out, sitting on their mopeds, chatting and smoking cigarettes (the usual). As i walked by i heard one of them say “oh he is French”. One of my favorite things to do is reply to people who don’t think i can speak Chinese, so i replies back and said, “no I’m actually American.” They were shocked and i laughed with them an talked for a few minutes before i was on my way. I walked for a little longer and completely lost track of time. My program director called me and asked me where i was and that everybody was on the bus waiting. I started to jog back and thought i might as well ask the workers for a ride. Sure enough he motioned me to hop on. To everyone’s surprise i rolled up to the bus on the back of some random Chinese guys moped. Instead of being irritated my program director laughed and gave me a high five. From there we went to Baibei village which was way in the mountains. Our bus couldn’t even make it so we had to wait for an hour on the side of the road waiting for rides up the mountain. While waiting we have this little store the most business they had probably ever seen and we got to try a bunch of cheap and tasty Chinese snacks. When our rides arrived (local people that got paid to pack us in their vans like sardines) we headed up the mountain. If you have ever seen those small dirt rodes that hang over a sheer cliff on tv, that was these roads. At this point i was glad we were riding with the locals. When we arrived we immediately saw a big dirt arena with stone seating. It was water buffalo fighting day!! Men were standing all over the little arena cheering and placing bets. They have these water buffalo fights every 13 days. Sadly it was over soon after we had arrived for the animals had been fighting since 12 that day and it was now around 6pm. As the owners walked their contenders home i got the lucky chance to hold one. They control the water buffalos by a rope that is tied through their nose. As i grabbed the rope i could feel the warm moist exhale from its giant snout directly on my hand. It even shot a booger at my friend while he tried to take a picture. After taking a walk around the very rural village we hopped back in the vans and made our way down the mountain. After an experience i will never forget, we were finally headed to dinner and sleep…. or so i thought. Stay tuned and check out the next blog! Cheers!