So, it’s dead week, and let me tell you, this year’s dead week is hitting me like a brick. I’ve basically moved into Zim, and I’m surviving off of coffee and Red Bull.
Luckily for me, my classes don’t have any multiple-choice exams, so finals week will be a breeze for me. Unluckily for me, I have so many big projects and essays to write that dead week might actually be the death of me.
Anyways, I know dead week isn’t just rough for me, so, here are some tips and tricks on how to survive dead week/finals szn without actually dying.
- Find your own study space. My favorite place to study is the Harry Potter room in Zimmerman. Something about being there that makes me focus.
2.Make sure you have your Lobo ID before going to Zim at night. The worst feeling is when you’re studying in Zim, and they do an ID check and you don’t have your Lobo ID on you.
- Create a to-do list/schedule for the week. This is the easiest way to make sure you don’t feel overwhelmed.
- Pay attention to the details of your assignments. I am the worst with this one. There have been a few times that I have turned in assignments and didn’t receive full credit because I didn’t read the instructions fully.
- Put your phone away for at least 30-minute intervals. Again, I’m also the worst at this one.
- You can drink caffeine, but don’t overdo it. Adults shouldn’t drink more than 400 mg of caffeine. So that is 4 cups of coffee, 10 cans of soda, or 2 energy drinks.
- Stay hydrated. Caffeine dehydrates you, so get a water with your coffee.
- Make sure you eat. During dead week, it’s so easy to get wrapped up in your school work that you forget to eat. Just be conscious about your eating schedule.
- Office hours are your best friend. There’s still time to meet with a professor, TA or tutor, but I’d get started on that because other students are going to start doing the same.
- If you have a test tomorrow and you don’t know it by midnight, just go to sleep. This is a more pros/cons kinda thing. What’s better staying up late to learn one tiny detail of the overall test or being exhausted during the test itself making you score lower on the overall test.
Good luck during dead week and finals, we all need it.